TODAY'S WORD FOR Tuesday, March 12, 2019:
Deeply respectful; devout; obeying and revering God.
Therefore, you shall obey the voice of the Lord your God, and observe His commandments and His statutes which I command you today.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
You may ask, what is a Godly life and how is it achieved? These are important questions because as believers in Jesus we are called upon to live a fully surrendered life to Christ. We know this is God’s will for us and that He is working to get us to that position but we have a responsibility in the process as well.
There are seven habits that we would like to share with you today that will help us in our pursuit of godly living. A habit is recurring and often subconscious and acquired through frequent repetition. So, we share these with you today with the suggestion you review them daily until they are part of your everyday life --- even without thinking.
1. Develop A LIFE OF PRAYER. Prayer was an important part of Jesus ministry when He was on this earth. He would often go away and pray (Mark 1:35 and Luke 4:42). Prayer is a daily conversation with God that springs from a love for Him and a time to express gratitude for who He is. Give Him your time daily and then listen for His instructions.
2. FAITH. God controls everything, not only what happens but why and how it happens. His sovereignty is our foundation for believing and trusting Him. The lack of faith leads to worry. A godly life allows you to step beyond worry and into trust. Each time you face a situation and start to fret, stop and remember who is in charge. Read again Proverbs 3:5-6.
3. MEDITATION ON THE WORD OF GOD. Meditation means to read the scripture, then thinking about it seeking to apply what God says in the scripture to your life. When we focus on the Lord, worries and concerns drift away, and our minds are freed from the contamination of the things that do us no good. “Those who desire wicked schemes are near, but they are far from your law” Psalm 119:150. Meditation keeps us alert and sensitive to what God’s guidelines are for us. God’s guidelines help us follow His path and avoid paths that lead to destruction.
4. OBEDIENCE: Obedience to God leads us to live on a higher level than the world. In Deuteronomy 28:1 God told the Israelites that if they fully obeyed the Lord and followed His commands, He would set them above the nations of the world and blessings would come on them. It is a process to live by God’s commandments and standards. We learn to obey by taking small steps of obedience rather than following the world’s lifestyle.
5. DEPENDENCE UPON THE HOLY SPIRIT. We are, as believers indwelt by the Holy Spirit and Paul tells us that we are to “be filled with the Spirit” Ephesians 5:18. This is a continuous action of filling. It means to live in obedience to Him, rely on Him to equip us and to empower, strengthen, teach and guide us each day. Only as we depend on the Spirit will we be and do what God desires for us.
6. GIVING TO GOD AND OTHERS. Read Luke 6:38 where we are told to give and it will be given to us. We can never out give God. When you give generously God will overwhelm you with His giving to us in return.
7. FORGIVING OTHER PEOPLE. Forgiveness is not easy but it is what the Lord command us to do Ephesians 4:32. Even if someone betrays us, we must forgive them and trust God to take care of the situation.
Start developing these habits today and watch what God will do in your life.
Our memory verse for this week is found in Proverbs 22:9.
He who has a generous eye will be blessed, for he gives of his bread to the poor.
Help me today to start to develop these seven habits that I may be more like You. Help me to set a standard for my family and give me a new burden of prayer for my friends and family to desire to follow Jesus and live in obedience to His Word.
These Family Devotional thoughts are written by Dr. Ken Phillips, Executive Director of America's Hunger
Solution, and his wife Dottie. Ken has had ministry positions
with The Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, World Vision, Youth For Christ, World Opportunities International,
and World Bible Society. He also has consulted for more than 30 Christian ministries in management and stewardship
development. They have published a book called No Problems Only Situations that discusses the journey of their family.
Ken and Dottie have been married for 60 years, and have 6 children, 20 grandchildren, and 3 great grandchildren. Their
second book, TODAY'S WORD, includes 365 daily
devotionals and is now available for only $10.
Ken & Dottie Phillips
May we encourage you to send a DONATION to help:Deliver a box of food to feed a poor family for one week in the inner cities of America --- the poorest of the poor and/or to children and their families in a third world country. (we deliver food boxes to 20 third world countries.)
SPONSOR ONE BOX FOR ONLY $7.00
CLICK HERE TO MAKE A DONATION.
(All gifts are income tax deductible)