TODAY'S WORD FOR Wednesday, March 25, 2020:
Free from error; infallible.
By the Word of the Lord were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of His mouth.”
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
The credibility of our faith in God and Jesus relies on the inerrancy of the Bible. We are referring to the fact that the words in the Bible are inspired by God and totally free of mistakes (inerrancy), not wrong on any subject (infallible), and each word is from God Himself, given through chosen men of God (inspired).
The Bible itself declares itself to be the Word of God. This great declaration affirms that the Bible alone is the final authority for the faith and practices of Christians throughout the centuries and today.
Throughout the years, we have talked to many people who question the inerrancy of the Bible. Many ask such things as: “Why should we believe in something that has so many unrealistic statements and stories?” We will endeavor to provide answers to these questions and others for those that doubt. And even just as important for those of us that want to strengthen our belief in the inspired Word of God.
For those that doubt that the Bible is the inspired Word of God you must then surmise that Jesus is a liar and not the Son of God. You cannot accept some of the Bible as truth and some of the Bible as fiction and still believe that Jesus is God.
Let us continue by saying that “ALL SCRIPTURE” refers to the entire Bible. “By inspiration” the Greek translation is “THEOPNEUSTOS” meaning GOD BREATHED. Therefore God “breathed” the words through the mouth and pens of the prophets.
What does this mean to us? As Christians, we are commanded to live by the words of God in the Bible --- God’s Word to us. In today’s society, this becomes very difficult to do. For example, let us look at two issues that affect us today in a major way:
• Children are to honor their father and mother (one of the Ten Commandments given to Moses by God). And parents are to respect their children. In America, very few children respect their parents and with over 50% of marriages failing, children do not have parents honoring God. Now you can understand why children and their parents do not live by this commandment?
• Another one of the Ten Commandments is to keep the Sabbath day Holy. God would not have included this as one of the Ten Commandments if He did not expect us to honor it. When we were children both of our families practiced keeping the Sabbath holy. We were in church Sunday morning and evening. We were always involved in some sort of Bible study or youth program on Sunday afternoon or evening. Even though the Sunday paper arrived early Sunday morning it was never opened until Monday. There was no radio or TV on Sunday. And we never felt that we missed out on anything, in fact, Sundays were a day that we all looked forward to each week.
Today, many people go to church on Sunday but the majority of the day is spent watching football or golf on television, playing electronic games, going to a movie or a party. Some even go back to work. But the majority of people do not even go to church. We have no longer considered it important to keep the Sabbath Holy. Sunday is now just another day of the week. God intended the Sabbath to be a day of spiritual and physical rejuvenation.
As Christians, some of the other issues we face if we truly believe that the Bible is the inspired Word of God are:
• Creation verses Evolution. The Bible is very clear on this subject and it is a major issue in our school systems today as it is among individuals. The Bible begins in Genesis 1:1, “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.”
• Abortion verses Pro Life. Many Christians struggle with this issue but the Bible is very clear that life begins with conception and this is of God. One of the Ten Commandments given to us is, “Thou shall not murder.”
• The miracles performed by Jesus while He was on this earth. Some say they were stories or illustrations but the Bible clearly states that they were miracles. Would you want to believe in a God who was not powerful enough to perform miracles?
• The Deity of Christ. God sent His Son, Jesus to this earth to pay the penalty for our sins. This had to be God or how can we believe the Bible at all. Sin is against God so only He can forgive sin.
• The actual events outlined in the Bible such as the flood with Noah, the parting of the Red sea for the Children of Israel and Jonah and the whale have been ridiculed as impossible and are labeled “myths.” Nevertheless, none have been proved as not happening. Many have serious problems with issues such as these, but let us assure you, dear friends, that ALL THE BIBLE is the Word of God and is without error, infallible and inspired.
If we believe that God is God, the creator of all, then we must believe nothing is impossible with God. There is only one thing God cannot do, He cannot sin. To lie is a sin, so God does not lie. God’s Word is true.
Our memory verse for this week is found in Jeremiah 29:13.
You will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.
Thank you, dear Lord, for giving me the Bible as a guide book for me to live by each day. Help me to read Your word daily and to be obedient to Your commandments as I face the issues of life in a sinful world.
These Family Devotional thoughts are written by Dr. Ken Phillips, Executive Director of America's Hunger
Solution, and his wife Dottie. Ken has had ministry positions
with The Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, World Vision, Youth For Christ, World Opportunities International,
and World Bible Society. He also has consulted for more than 30 Christian ministries in management and stewardship
development. They have published a book called No Problems Only Situations that discusses the journey of their family.
Ken and Dottie have been married for 60 years, and have 6 children, 20 grandchildren, and 3 great grandchildren. Their
second book, TODAY'S WORD, includes 365 daily
devotionals and is now available for only $10.
Ken & Dottie Phillips
May we encourage you to send a DONATION to help:Deliver a box of food to feed a poor family for one week in the inner cities of America --- the poorest of the poor and/or to children and their families in a third world country. (we deliver food boxes to 20 third world countries.)
SPONSOR ONE BOX FOR ONLY $7.00
CLICK HERE TO MAKE A DONATION.
(All gifts are income tax deductible)