TODAY'S WORD FOR Tuesday, August 22, 2017:
One who helps, consoles, or strengthens. One who instills courage or insurance in another person.
You hear, O Lord, the desire of the afflicted; You encourage them and You listen to their cry. Psalm 10:17
I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye. Psalm 32:8
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
Discouragement comes to all of us from time to time. When we get discouraged we have a choice as believers. If we focus on our difficult circumstance and negative feelings we can easily be drawn into despair and depression. If we fix our eyes on Jesus in our time of discouragement, God will lift us up and set us free.
Our great encourager is God. A key element in overcoming discouragement is having a personal understanding of who God is and having a personal relationship with Him through Jesus Christ. How does this happen, you may ask? We learn about God through reading the Bible daily and meditating (studying) what you have read and praying daily to your Heavenly Father. Psalm 10:17 tells us that God not only hears our cry but listens to our desire when we are down and out and He will encourage us.
We often listen to Dr. Charles Stanley on television. We also have read several of his books. He has given us a list of ten attributes of God that make Him our great encourager. They are:
• Merciful: God feels compassion for us and is our Father of mercies.
• Omnipresent: We are never out of God’s reach. In times of loneliness and rejection, we are not alone.
• Omnipotent: Our Lord has all power and governs everything so He can handle with ease any problem we may face.
• Omniscient: God possesses all knowledge. He has all wisdom to handle our every situation. He is able to give perfect guidance.
• Gracious: We do not deserve His grace but He knows we are not perfect. He graciously disciplines and corrects us so we will not continue on a path that could ruin our lives.
• Patient: God is willing to wait until we are ready to obey Him. His goal is to give us spiritual growth.
• Wise: The Lord’s judgments are unsearchable and His ways are unfathomable. He knows the future and what is best for us and will guide us to that point.
• Faithful: Even if we are faithless, He remains faithful. What He promises He will do. We may walk away from God but God does not walk away from us.
• Good: He is the giver of good things and He is the one that determines what is good. He allows trials because He uses them to change us and then mold us to conform to Christ’s likeness.
• Unchanging: The God of the Old Testament is the same One we worship today. He is just as faithful to us as He was to Abraham.
God encourages us through His Word, through prayer, through songs of praise, through other believer’s and with His presence no matter where we are or what we are doing or how deep we have fallen into despair. Be encouraged. You are not alone. God is always by your side to lift you up and encourage your troubled heart.
Our memory verse for this week is found in Psalm 100:1
Make a joyful shout to the Lord, all you lands.
Keep me encouraged every day so I can acknowledge and appreciate all the good things You provide for me. Thank You for the assurance You give us in Your Word that we are never alone for You will never leave or forsake those that love You.
These Family Devotional thoughts are written by Dr. Ken Phillips, Executive Director of America's Hunger
Solution, and his wife Dottie. Ken has had ministry positions
with The Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, World Vision, Youth For Christ, World Opportunities International,
and World Bible Society. He also has consulted for more than 30 Christian ministries in management and stewardship
development. They have published a book called No Problems Only Situations that discusses the journey of their family.
Ken and Dottie have been married for 60 years, and have 6 children, 20 grandchildren, and 3 great grandchildren. Their
second book, TODAY'S WORD, includes 365 daily
devotionals and is now available for only $10.
Ken & Dottie Phillips
May we encourage you to send a DONATION to help:Deliver a box of food to feed a poor family for one week in the inner cities of America --- the poorest of the poor and/or to children and their families in a third world country. (we deliver food boxes to 20 third world countries.)
SPONSOR ONE BOX FOR ONLY $7.00
CLICK HERE TO MAKE A DONATION.
(All gifts are income tax deductible)